Friday, December 12, 2008

Am I really worthy of being an Indian?

This is my first foray into the world of blogging ; I certainly don't claim to be a writer - I am a simple man with simple thoughts. I consider this space to be a medium for me to pen down my thoughts - I do not expect people to read this, understand this or indeed even appreciate this.
I don't know for sure if the content of this blog has been inspired by the tragic events that unfolded in Mumbai not too long ago...however, I keenly followed these events as captured by the media as also the anger and outrage expressed by the Indian citizens across the world - somewhere, somehow, this has triggered a chain of thoughts in my head that forms the contents of this blog...

I do not wish to talk about 'patriotism' - I believe this word has been trashed so much by our own citizens that it has no meaning anymore. I believe that we Indians are the most unpatriotic people in the world - however, I am not about to talk about 'us' or 'we' ; this is the usual high road that is nothing more than an excuse not to do anything constructive for our country. Today, I ask myself the question - "Am I really worthy of being an Indian?"

I was born in India and therefore legally qualified to be an Indian citizen. That's it, the qualification ends there. The first thing I do when I study for my 12th is to prepare for the GRE and TOEFL so that I could go to the US to study because I do not believe that the education system in India is good enough. I am happy to spend thousands and thousands of rupees on applications to the US, but I will not even consider studying in India. I am delighted to get my first admit in the US, and am ready to sleep outside the US embassy overnight to ensure that I get my visa interview the next day. I am prepared to face the interviewer at the consulate who would take a look at me and think 'Another Indian who wants to take jobs away from my people' because I do not believe that my country could give me the education I need. Am I really worthy of being an Indian?

I complain constantly about the system and corruption, but I am not prepared to get off my back and do something about it. I am prepared to pay the gas delivery man an extra 10 bucks just in case he gets pissed off and delays the next delivery, and I complain to everyone about corruption. I am ready to 'tip' the telephone guy who does his job (and gets his salary from the government) and then I justify it by comparing my salary with his. I am too damn lazy to get through the process of a voter's card and even if I do, it is just so that I have another 'ID proof' and not because I give a damn about casting my vote. Yet, I consider it my birthright to bitch and moan about the politicians who are screwing our country - after all, I am legally Indian.
Am I really worth of being an Indian?

I am always looking for overseas jobs - the H1/B1 or whatever else they call it in other countries is my only objective ; I have the nerve to live outside my country (to be polite, be an NRI) and earn in much stronger currencies ; however, I cannot be bothered with directly contributing to the economy or the society of my country ( I do not believe that an NRI investing in properties or the stock market in India is in any way a direct contribution to the country - it's nothing but semantics anyway you look at it) However, I will consider it my right to pass judgement on my country sitting in comfortable homes in developed nations. I will 'sponsor' an underprivileged Indian kid somewhere from the cents and pennies that I wish to spare for India and be satisfied with 'having done my bit for the country'
Am I really worthy of being an Indian?

I will work at a petrol station or a supermarket in the US, but I will not be prepared to do the same in India, I will spit on and litter the streets of India but follow all the rules in Singapore, I will pay extra money not to attend my driving test but still get my license, I will drive like I own the roads in India but give way at every pedestrian crossing in another country....

Am I really worthy of being an Indian?

Are you?

Subbu
12th December 2008
23:30 IST

1 comment:

  1. i see a father's love in ur travelogue Subbu :) .. i initially browsed to get to know some hill station that i cud visit in north india .. ur story did help me .. thanks .. but more than tat .. ur warmth in the story captured me ...

    and ur writting on being INDIAN .. simply superb ...

    and i like the chats u n ur wife have in the mornings about life .. tensed work life .. n etc .. i wonder where v r goin in chasing money ...

    i so wonder what is d true bliss ...

    keep writting subbu ...

    send ma love to Nikhil .. if u plan to visit malaysia .. tell Nikhil that uncle GK is here ..

    ReplyDelete